A few weeks ago, I was able to enjoy lunch with a friend I hadn’t been able to connect with in a few years. Don’t you love the kind of friendships where you can comfortably pick up right where your last conversation was, even if it was 3 years ago? My friend and I both have 3 boys, all under the age of 8, and of course one of the things we talked about was how smelly our boys were! And worse yet, how smelly their rooms get. We compared tips in keeping the boys bedrooms fresh, and when I got home, I actually did a little research to get more ideas. I thought I would take the time to share these tips with everyone.
If you have younger boys, like my friend and I, you may have diaper odors, drool odors, and even puke odors. As your boys get older, so do their smells. Dirty clothes, stinky feet, dirty bedding, and sometimes we just don’t know what some of those odors are!
1. If you change diapers in your boys room, use zip lock bags to seal up the stinky diapers. Use a small garbage can, and change the trash every day or two. Also, try sprinkling some baking soda in the bottom of the can, or using garbage bags infused with baking soda.
2. Glade or Air Wick Scented Plug-Ins work WONDERS!
3. Change your boys bedding once a week, especially pillow cases. Think of all the drooling and sweating your boys do in the night while sleeping – changing bedding is important. If you have to deal with leaking diapers or bed-wetters in the night, be sure to use a waterproof mattress protector, so you can avoid urine odor in mattresses.
4. Keep dirty clothes in a designated area, and remove it from the room once a day. Better yet, don’t allow dirty clothes in bedrooms.
5. Collect all trash from the room. I am always surprised by all the candy and cheese stick wrappers I find in my boys bedroom! If you don’t keep the room clear of food and drink garbage, your boys bedroom can become the perfect environment to house bugs, ants, or even mice. Yikes!
6. Allow air-flow in the room during the day and night. A small fan or air-filter may go a long way in keeping stale air out of your boys room!
7. Lastly, hide some Bounce Dryer Sheets sheets in various places in the room. Hide one in the curtains, under a mattress, in the closet, and even at the bottom of the laundry basket.